To design a project in the educational field is not an easy task, most of all if it involves international partners. Since 2010, I have been involved in the development of grant applications for youth initiatives, international meetings, training courses for youth workers and voluntary exchanges. Project managers know well how interesting and rewarding this area can be: with every new plan, there are plenty of possibilites to learn something inspiring, to meet new partners and to increase your skills. Alas, this field can be also particularly stressful and demanding, due to pressing deadlines and technical problems (strangely enough, your internet connection always stops working when the deadline is approaching). Anyway, as Monty Python would say "always look on the bright side of life"!
During my professional cooperation with different organisations, I have developed project writing and project management skills in the field of intercultural education, social inclusion, international volunteering, capacity building, cultural heritage and Peace & Human Rights.
I managed projects on behalf of small NGOs and big networks, obtaining grants from Erasmus+, Anna Lindh Foundation and the Council of Europe. Moreover, I managed project financed by UNESCO and other international institutions.
Here is a list of the most recent projects which I wrote and which received a grant:
- 2021: "MicroProS: Corso teorico e pratico di micro-progettazione in ambito socio-culturale", Pilot Activity, European Youth Foundation, coordinated by Servizio Civile Internazionale;
- 2021: Youth Framework Partnership Agreement, Erasmus+ Civil Society Cooperation Youth, on behalf of CCIVS.
- 2020: "Social re-Activation", European Solidarity Corps, Volunteering Project, coordinated by Servizio Civile Internazionale;
- 2020: "5 Shades of Blue", Erasmus+, KA1, Mobility of Youth Workers, Italian National Agency, coordinated by Servizio Civile Internazionale;
- 2020: "Skills for Future", European Solidarity Corps, Volunteering Project, coordinated by Servizio Civile Internazionale;
- 2020: "proMOTION: advocacy strategy to bring forward NFE and Youth Work in Europe" (International Activity) - European Youth Foundation, coordinated by Alliance;
- 2020: "EMpowering Youth - Improving capacity for EuroMed youth projects" - Anna Lindh Foundation, Intercultural dialogue initiatives, coordinated by CCIVS;
- 2020: "LEA.P.S. into the future - LEAders Project Skills for future campleaders", Erasmus+ KA1, Mobility of Youth Workers, Hungarian National Agency, coordinated by Egyesek and Alliance;
- 2020: "V.I.C.A. – Improving skills of IVS activists in the field of Volunteering In Conflict Areas", Erasmus+ KA1, Mobility of Youth Workers, French National Agency, coordinated by CCIVS;
- 2019: "Re:Connect" - Raising Peace 2020 Study Visit in Palestine, Erasmus+, KA1 - Mobility of Youth Workers - French National Agency, coordinated by CCIVS;
- 2019: "Frame[v]work: a project to develop a shared framework for international voluntary work and volunteers exchange in the IVS movement", Erasmus+, KA2 - Capacity building in the field of youth, coordinated by Egyesek;
- 2019: "P.R.I.M.E. Participatory Research on Impact Measurement and Evaluation", Erasmus+, KA1 - Mobility of Youth Workers - French National Agency, coordinated by CCVIS;
- 2018: "Raising Peace Campaign 2018 Empowering Visions", Council of Europe, European Youth Foundation - Annual work plan, coordinated by CCIVS;
- 2017: "#IVS4Peace - Inclusive voluntary service for peace", Erasmus+, KA3 - Support for policy reforms, coordinated by CCIVS;
- 2017: "Ready, Set...Peace Action! - Media Education in Awareness Actions on Peace and Human Rights", Erasmus+ KA1 - Mobility of Youth Workers - French National Agency, coordinated by CCIVS.
Volunteering in world heritage sites
In 2016, 2017 and 2018 I had the chance to work in the framework of the World Heritage Volunteers Initiative, a programme coordinated by the World Heritage Centre of UNESCO and CCIVS.
This programme provides concrete opportunities to young people to volunteer in natural and cultural UNESCO sites, a unique chance to live an intercultural experience, to gain new skills and to enalrge cultural horizons.
I worked for CCIVS providing the following services:
- to promote the WHV initiative among organisations and young people;
- to coordinate the selection procedure for the organisations;
- to advice newcomers through online support;
- to organise training courses focused on the implementation of cultural heritage projects targeted to young volunteers;
- to support the coordination of 3 WHV projects in Morocco in July 2018, creating workshops on youth empowerement (Youth PVE).
Intercultural activities for children
Is it possible to propose intercultural activities to children? Do they possess skills and interest to take part to such initiatives? Are they interested to meet people coming from different cultures?
The answer to all these question is: YES! All around the world, kids are always very curious and enthusiastic when it comes to international meetings. It is very important to propose intercultural education activities even to primary school pupils, in order to strengthen the values of multiculturalism, mutual understanding and respect in our community.
Of course the methods and tools used when working with children need to be different from those proposed to young people: music, games, visualization techniques and lots of action are required!
My experience working with kids:
- 400 hours university trainship in a community house for children with family problems (2000)
- I had the chance to work 4 months in 2012 in a primary school in Germany as after school activities coordinator.
- During my 2012 workcamp in Australia we organised activities with children in the primary school of a small village.
Seminar, Training courses, events joined as a participant
The participation to conferences, seminars, training courses and related events is very important for a freelance trainer. These are chances to gain skills, create a network of contacts and be always up-to-date on volunteering and project management. Here is a list of the events I have joined so far (as a participant):